Thursday, September 24, 2009

Autumnal Equinox

Seems like nature kicks it into high gear around the autumnal equinox and puts on quite a show with the wildflowers. The roadsides near my house in north Florida are positively smothered in flowers right now -- goldenrod, ageratum, asters, Spanish needles, morning glories, cypressvine morning glories, swamp sunflowers, and lots of other flowers that I don't know the names of. This fall display is every bit as impressive as the big spring bloom, but comes in a different palette. The fall palette is bright yellows, purples, and reds. And lots of butterflies add extra color as they flit from flower to flower. I have to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road as I drive the back roads on my way to work -- I am so drawn to the flowers and the insect activity. Ah, if I could only repeat a little of this design in my own gardens. Nature does it so effortlessly and it is always beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment